Here is the stunning before, as taken from the realtor photos that were on the virtual tour when the house was listed last year:
All that wood! That wallpaper! Why would you use two of the most porous materials possible in a BATHROOM? It boggles the mind. The shower curtain is hiding a blue bathtub, by the way, along with sliding glass doors (on a bathtub? Why?), which were the first things we removed when we moved in. Also the floor is blue and white tiles.
Here’s a photo mid-backing-peeling:
Flashback Friday! Here is a quick before/after of the dining room. After picture taken from the comfort of my couch and while teleworking. Sorry for crappy phone pic, it’s hard to compare it to the fancy realtor photos.
What we did:
- removed carpet
- removed wallpaper under chair rail
- painted walls charcoal grey (Valspar Crucible)
- painted trim Valspar Ultra White
- switched out light fixture
- switched out switchplates and outlet covers
- added trim to the tiles since there was a difference in height
- curtains! I bought the fabric at Ikea and mom helpfully hemmed them
Still to do:
- get a sideboard or some sort of cabinet for the wall with the door
- eventually upgrade the table
- in my wildest dreams, we will remove the popcorn ceiling someday
Eventually we’ll get in some other before/afters of different perspectives of the dining room. I’m hoping this becomes a regular feature! Maybe bimonthly?
House! A year ago today we were in the middle of buying our house!
It looks a lot different today than it did then. Mostly done with the living room, dining room, guest room, and kitchen, next up are the bathrooms. Lots of wallpaper and wood.
Tonight while EDB was in the bath I started peeling. The good news: the paper itself peeled in big strips. But: the backing is holding firm. Peeling now forces me to get a move on, since wallpaper backing is ugly and an insect delicacy. I will probably just keep a spray bottle, vinegar, and a scraper in there to remove the backing a bit at a time. Then I’ll just need a weekend to prime and paint–bright white so as not to clash with the blue tub and tile.
We bathe Emmett twice a week. At that rate the wallpaper should be peeled… by 2017.
Eventually we’ll want to replace all the wood accents in there with chrome, probably. And then way down the line (or once we win the lottery), a new sink/vanity/medicine chest. Baby steps!
More house updates to come!